Blog Archive

Saturday, August 22, 2015

22 Aug 2015

PROMPT:


Sarah, Roberto, and Cynthia stand at a table in a bar.  Three drinks are on the table. Tad walks up.
TAD
(picking up a drink)
Who’s not drinkin’?
Roberto and Cynthia pick up the other drinks and clink glasses with a laugh.
CYNTHIA
(nodding toward Sarah)
Stick in the mud.
Cynthia picks up her drink and pointed takes a long draw.
ROBERTO
More like stick up her butt.
SARAH
Lovely, Roberto, that’s just lovely.
TAD
What’s the problem, Sarah?
SARAH
I just don’t feel like drinking tonight.  Is that alright with you, Tad?
TAD
It’s a free country.
ROBERTO
And free booze!  Cynthia said she’s buying!
Roberto takes a long drink.
CYNTHIA
(excited)
I got a promotion today!  This is a celebration.  Come on, Sarah, have a drink!
SARAH
I can’t...
ROBERTO
What do you mean you can’t?!
SARAH
I got... I got stuff to do tomorrow.
ROBERTO
That’s tomorrow!  Besides it’s Saturday!  Sleep late!  Watch sports!  Boss didn’t ask you to come in on your day off, did she?
SARAH
(annoyed)
No.
TAD
Now we’ve hurt her little feelings.
SARAH
Ya’ll can be such assholes.
CYNTHIA
(looking pointedly at Tad and Roberto)
We’re sorry, Sarah, aren’t we... Roberto, Tad?
ROBERTO
(mumbling)
Sorry.
TAD
Sorry.
Silence.
CYNTHIA
So what’s going on with you?  I know it’s... been hard... since...
TAD
We were just trying to help you forget.
SARAH
I’m not going to forget.  I don’t want to forget.
CYNTHIA
Of course, you’re not going to forget.  We don’t want you to forget.
ROBERTO
We just don’t want to see you so... sad.
SARAH
I appreciate... what ya’ll are trying to do, but I can’t...
CYNTHIA
It’s only been two weeks since the funeral.  Nobody’s expecting you to be the life of the party, but a drink...
SARAH
Like I said, I got something to do tomorrow... early.
Silence.
TAD
So... what are you doing tomorrow?
Silence.
SARAH
I can’t drink because I’m donating... milk.
ROBERTO
Buy a carton at the store, drop it off.  Don’t see why you can’t have drink.
CYNTHIA
Not cow’s milk, idiot, breast milk.
ROBERTO
You mean like from...
Roberto points at Sarah’s breasts, then realizes what he’s doing and his hand and eyes drop.
ROBERTO
Sorry.
SARAH
(putting a hand on Roberto’s arm)
It’s okay.  I know it sounds weird.
TAD
A little...
SARAH
There are lots of premature babies who’s mother’s can’t give milk.  If they get breast milk, they have a better chance of survival.
TAD
(quietly)
Wow...
ROBERTO
Yea... wow...
SARAH
(sad, breaking down at the end)
It seemed like something I could... do.
CYNTHIA
That’s... amazing.
SARAH
If I can’t feed my own... baby...
Sarah cries.  Tad, Roberto and Cynthia gather round her and give her hugs.
End of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment