Blog Archive

Sunday, August 23, 2015

23 Aug 2015

PROMPT:  Unintentional gratitude

Ellen Stader, dancer/choreographer/writer 

Trevor sits at a long table with a number of chairs.  He can’t sit still.  A few others mill around for a moment, then leave.  Jason comes over at Trevor’s beckoning and sits.  They shake hands.
JASON
I’m Jason.
TREVOR
Trevor.  I heard what you said.  I don’t want to lose everything.  I want to be one of the lucky ones.
JASON
It’s not hard.  Quit drinking, quit using.
TREVOR
I’ve tried.  I had seven years.
JASON
Did you keep going to meetings?
TREVOR
I quit going after five years.  A couple years later, I started drinking... I’ve been in and out.  This time it started with drinking, then I started smoking crack.  I smoked two thousand dollars worth of crack in last three days.  I got a girlfriend who loves me and a great job...
JASON
Not for long...
TREVOR
I know.  I want to get lucky.  I don’t want to lose everything.
JASON
It’s not luck.  There is some grace, but no luck.
TREVOR
How do I get that?  I pray and pray, but God doesn’t answer my prayers.
JASON
You did it once.  How did you do it?
TREVOR
I followed the suggestions...
JASON
How ‘bout you try that again?
TREVOR
It stopped working!
JASON
You stopped following the suggestions.
TREVOR
(hesitant)
Okay.
Silence.
TREVOR
How do you do it?
JASON
Same way you did.  I follow the suggestions.  I do what the people who come into these rooms looking for help, and who are successful, do.  And I don’t stop.
TREVOR
I want that.
Silence.
JASON
How much time and effort do you put in everyday to get high and then to cover up that you’re getting high and then to combat the hang over from getting high?
TREVOR
I spend most of my time doing that.
JASON
For a while...
TREVOR
How long?
JASON
A few months.  Three, six, nine.  I don’t know, but for awhile, you’re going to have to put in nearly as much time working on not getting high.  It will get easier.
TREVOR
I know.
Silence.
TREVOR
You seem happy.
JASON
I am happy, and right now, really grateful.
TREVOR
Why are you grateful?
JASON
Cause I ain’t you.  You’re the best reminder there is of why I still work hard to not take a drink or use drugs today.
TREVOR
I don’t want to be a reminder.  I’m tired of being a reminder.
JASON
Then quit drinking and quit using.
TREVOR
What else should I do?
JASON
Read the book.  Go to meetings.
TREVOR
I will.
JASON
It’s going to hurt, Trevor.  For the next few weeks, it’s going to hurt bad.
TREVOR
I know.
Jason takes out his wallet and gives Trevor his business card.
JASON
Here’s my card.  Call me anytime, as long as it’s before you use.
TREVOR
Okay.
Jason stands.
JASON
I come to the noon meetings here couple of times a week.
They shake.
TREVOR
I’ll look for you.
Trevor stands and leaves.
JASON
There but for the grace of God...
End of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment