Blog Archive

Friday, August 21, 2015

21 Aug 2015

PROMPT:  It’s all I have in me today...

Leticia Rodriguez, artist/musician/dancer

Chuck, late middle aged, holds the phone up to his ear.
CHUCK
As soon as I hang up with you...
(listens)
Yes, ma’am.
(listens)
Thank you.  Good night.
Debbie comes in just as Chuck is finishing the conversation.
DEBBIE
Are you still up?
CHUCK
Britany is not in her room.
DEBBIE
What?!  Where is she?!
CHUCK
She snuck out.
DEBBIE
How did she get around the alarm?!
CHUCK
I don’t know.  I got up to pee and decided to do a bed check.  Her room was empty.  Window open.  Screen off.
DEBBIE
Did you... call the police?
CHUCK
I didn’t want to.  I called the agency emergency number.  They said I had to call the police and the hotline.
DEBBIE
What is she thinking?
CHUCK
Thinking?  She’s all anger and fear and hormones!
Silence.
DEBBIE
What are we supposed to do now?
CHUCK
I’m going to turn on the TV, sit on the sofa, and wait.  You should try to go back to bed if you can.
DEBBIE
I don’t know...
A loud knock on the door.  Debbie jumps.
DEBBIE
Shit!
Chuck exits and comes back a moment later with a young woman, Darlene, in a police uniform.
DARLENE
Evening folks.  Do you know why I’m here?
DEBBIE
Our daughter snuck out.
DARLENE
I have her in the back of the squad car.
CHUCK
Thank god!
DEBBIE
She’s alright?
DARLENE
She’s fine.  Drunk, but fine.
CHUCK
Drunk?!
DARLENE
Just a little tipsy.  We picked her up over on Burnet Road along with her little girlfriend, Sydney.
CHUCK
Those two idiots...
DARLENE
Can’t argue with you there, sir.  They were just walking along the sidewalk.  Some... weirdo was following them.
DEBBIE
They’re alright?  I mean, other than being drunk.
DARLENE
They’re both fine.
CHUCK
Did you talk to them?
DARLENE
We had a long discussion and before I bring Britany in, I’m going to have another little chat with them.
CHUCK
Are they... in trouble?
DARLENE
With the law?  No, sir.  Not this time.  I am going to issue a curfew warning to both of them, but they won’t have to go to court.
DEBBIE
Thank you.
DARLENE
Britany is your foster daughter?
CHUCK
Yes ma’am.
DARLENE
You’ve got your hands full.
CHUCK
Yes, ma’am.
DARLENE
She getting some counseling?
DEBBIE
She goes once a week.
CHUCK
And we had an alarm installed...
DEBBIE
This isn’t her first time.
CHUCK
No, ma’am.  This isn’t her first time.
DARLENE
Alright.  Sounds like you folks are doing everything you can.
CHUCK
We love her but...
DARLENE
I know.  I’m going to go have a word with the young ladies, and then I will bring Britany in.
DEBBIE
Thank you.  We’ll talk to her.
DARLENE
In the morning.  Put her in bed and go to bed yourselves.
DEBBIE
Thank you, officer.
Darlene nods and exits.
DEBBIE
I don’t know if I can do this.
CHUCK
It’s been a long day.  We’re not going to make any decision tonight.
DEBBIE
Okay... I love her.
CHUCK
Me, too.
They hug.
End of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment