Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

26 Aug 2015

PROMPT:  Three characters wake up side-by-side on a raft. Two of them are in a relationship; they have never met the third person. They don’t know how they got there— or where they’re headed.

Allison Gregory, playwright

Britany, 17, upset, can’t sit still at the table in the restaurant.  Terri, 57, her foster mother is agitated as well.  Clarence, her foster father enters and sits down with a sigh and a thud.  Everyone is silent for a moment.
CLARENCE
That was... weird.
TERRI
The judge... the judge must have heard...
CLARENCE
She had to have heard...
TERRI
Even if she didn’t, the court clerk was standing right there.  And the cop...
Silence.
TERRI
Was that as... crazy as I think it was?
CLARENCE
Yup.
Silence.  Clarence looks at Britany.
CLARENCE
Are you okay?
BRITANY
No, I’m not okay!
TERRI
Your mother’s lawyer called you a... a...
BRITANY
A bitch.
Silence.
BRITANY
And my mother just stood there nodding!  She agreed with her!
Silence.
CLARENCE
I was proud of you.  You kept your cool.  You didn’t go back after her.
BRITANY
I wanted to!
CLARENCE
I know you did.
TERRI
(half smile)
I saw the cop standing guard get all tense when your mother’s lawyer said that.  He thought you might go off... You were amazing.
BRITANY
(calming slightly)
Thanks.
CLARENCE
You stood up for yourself, but you kept your cool.
Silence.
BRITANY
Thanks, you guys.  I appreciate the way you stood up for me.  I know I haven’t always been the easiest...
CLARENCE
That’s what family’s do.  They hang together.
Silence.
BRITANY
Do you think my mother put her up to that?
TERRI
I can’t believe that.
BRITANY
My mom seemed pretty mad.
CLARENCE
I’m sure this is... frustrating and... embarrassing for her.  She has to stand up in court every three months and tell the judge she... she...
Silence.
BRITANY
She doesn’t want me back.
Silence.
TERRI
We want you.
BRITANY
(crying)
I know.
CLARENCE
We love you.
BRITANY
I know.
CLARENCE
Remember what we’ve always told you Britany, there are two kinds of family.  The one you’re born into, and the one you choose when you’re an adult.
TERRI
We choose you.
BRITANY
And I choose you guys.
Terri stand up and holds out her arms.
TERRI
Group hug!
Clarence goes to Terri and puts one arm around her and holds out his other to Britany.  Britany grins, a little embarrassed, but joins the hug.  Big hug, then everyone sits down.
CLARENCE
Now, what should we have for lunch?
TERRI
A victory celebration!
End of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment